Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Advice in regards to teaching in Japan

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Thursday, 18 July 2013, at 2:17 p.m.

In Response To: Advice in regards to teaching in Japan (Ray)

Hello everyone, I would like some advice in regards to what course of action I should take so I can start teaching English in Japan. My original course of action was to go for a CELTA but I learned that there wasn't as much of a support community as there is with the JET program. So after looking into JET more I've decided to just wait to apply for the program instead of going through with the $2,700 CELTA course. I have talked to a few people and they say just take the CELTA course; personally I feel it's too huge of an investment to just start out. I can't really see myself enjoying teaching English until I've actually tried it so I prefer not to spend $2,700 on such a credential. My question to the community is if I do a year in the JET program does that trump having a CELTA with no experience? Are certifications really important when it comes to applying for teaching jobs? Can I get a job with certification that costs way less than CELTA? What certification(s) do you recommend that won't break the bank? Also what is your opinion Eikaiwa's? On a different note, how difficult is it for a foreigner in Japan to get a job when applying outside an agency?

Your questions can best be answered on the appropriate ESL Cafe, country-specific job discussion forum. Go to the Japan forum on forums.eslcafe.com/job.

Messages In This Thread

Advice in regards to teaching in Japan
Ray -- Wednesday, 17 July 2013, at 1:29 p.m.
AbeCross -- Friday, 19 July 2013, at 7:02 a.m.
Tim -- Thursday, 18 July 2013, at 7:11 p.m.
nomad soul -- Thursday, 18 July 2013, at 2:17 p.m.
GambateBingBangBOOM -- Wednesday, 14 August 2013, at 3:35 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT