Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Teaching without a Degree

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Tuesday, 9 July 2013, at 12:07 p.m.

In Response To: Teaching without a Degree (patrick5)

I am asking if there are available teaching jobs without a degree. I have a two year diploma and I am interested in teaching in Korea but I don't have a degree. Has anyone on here had any experience with this, or know if it is possible to become certified and then teach?

Possibly parts of Central and South America, East Asia (until 2015), and Eastern Europe (if you're not an EU resident). The pool of TEFL jobs for those without a university degree is shrinking---just being a native speaker doesn't cut it anymore.

Be aware you'd have to both satisfy the employer's requirements and comply with immigration regulations for legal employment. For example, a job ad might not specify a degree is necessary; however, it may be required for a visa and/or work permit for that particular country. Similarly, the employer could require a BA, yet a degree isn't mandatory in order to legally work in the country. That's your challenge, especially since visa regulations and employers' requirements can (and often do) change. Moreover, don't expect to make much in the way of earnings.

Start by researching which countries in the above regions don't require a degree for a visa/work permit. Then check out job postings in the target countries to see what you'd qualify for. Keep in mind you'll be competing against other job seekers who have both a TEFL cert and BA. Anyway, if your goal is to get into TEFL as a career, I suggest you get a CELTA. You'll also need to finish your degree.

By the way, this topic has been discussed numerous times this year within this forum and in the ESL Cafe's newbie job discussion forum.

Messages In This Thread

Teaching without a Degree
patrick5 -- Monday, 8 July 2013, at 9:18 a.m.
Re: Teaching without a Degree
nomad soul -- Tuesday, 9 July 2013, at 12:07 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT