Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Teaching English Abroad

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Saturday, 6 July 2013, at 2:57 a.m.

In Response To: Teaching English Abroad (Kristin)

I am frustrated with all the research I have been doing to get certified in ESL and feel like no matter what blog I read, there are contradictory posts.

First off, I am an 33 year old American. I hold two BS degrees in Accounting and Finance. I have zero experience teaching. I am thinking about leaving my job to get certified. I'm not sure whether this would be a permanent move or a break for a few years.

My issues are:
1. Is it worthwhile to pursue an online TEFOL certificate to see if I like it?
2. If I do like it then quit my job to get CELTA certified.

I've read good and bad about the CELTA certification. Also, I read a few posts that Americans can't teach in Europe. Is that true? I don't have anywhere in particular that I do or do not want to go. Of course Spain is top (but who doesn't love it there). I recently traveled to Istanbul and loved it too. Not sure if I am omitting any necessary information.

The short answers:

-- If you want a taste of what it's like to teach ESL, look into volunteering as a teaching assistant at one of your local non-profit ESL refugee or literacy organizations. It won't cost you anything but your time. You'll only need to commit to one or two days a week for a minimum number of months.

-- You didn't state what you read as the negatives regarding the CELTA, but as an entry-level English language teaching qualification, it's the most recognized cert worldwide. Ditto for the SIT TESOL and Trinity CertTESOL. Anyway, you'll need to decide what TEFL cert, if any, will fit your teaching goals. (Discussed ad nauseam within this forum.)

-- Once you have an idea as to where you want to teach, head over to the ESL Cafe's country-specific job discussion forums (forums.eslcafe.com/job) for more info. In fact, the General Europe forum includes discussion threads regarding countries US citizens can legally work in.

Messages In This Thread

Teaching English Abroad
Kristin -- Thursday, 4 July 2013, at 6:40 p.m.
spiral78 -- Saturday, 6 July 2013, at 3:30 a.m.
nomad soul -- Saturday, 6 July 2013, at 2:57 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT