Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

SEE TEFL or CELTA

Posted By: jb <pinkmoonjune@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, 4 July 2013, at 10:11 a.m.

Hello Everyone,

My goodness, I have been thinking about this for months and am having such difficulty deciding on a TEFL program after all of my research.

I believe I would like to teach in Taiwan, but I would also like to have other options. I'm a U.S. Citizen, have a master's degree in art, and am now trying to decide if I should do a CELTA or SEE TEFL in Bangkok. I know in Taiwan you don't necessarily NEED a TEFL certification, but it couldn't hurt, especially since I have no teaching experience.

A lot of people say that CELTA is really the way to go if you want the best jobs, but I really wonder about that. I have been researching jobs for months and have not seen one post that insists on a CELTA. They do say "CELTA equivalent" preferred, but I wonder what this means. I wonder would the 120 classroom hours and 6 observed teaching hours offered at SEE TEFL in Thailand qualify as a "CELTA equivalent"? And is SEE TEFL what is referred to as "recognized?" Is an actual CELTA really going to make a difference? I'm wondering how truly important the name brand is in finding the best jobs.

SEE TEFL does seem like an excellent program, but I'm wondering if it's emphasis is too Thai-based. I don't notice graduates of SEE TEFL talking about jobs they have in other countries. Not that it doesn't happen, just haven't seen it. They seem to be quite confined to Thailand, even though the website says SEE TEFL grads are placed around the world.

I'm looking to save some money while only working part time and have a nice lifestyle, so that's why I'm strongly leaning towards Taiwan. I would like to have time tow work on my art. So I would go there after earning my certification in Thailand.

But I would love to hear any thoughts people have on what I've said. Kind of a lot going on in this post, I guess. Thanks so much!!

JB

Messages In This Thread

SEE TEFL or CELTA
jb -- Thursday, 4 July 2013, at 10:11 a.m.
Re: SEE TEFL or CELTA
Tim -- Friday, 5 July 2013, at 12:18 p.m.
Re: SEE TEFL or CELTA
MT -- Sunday, 7 July 2013, at 3:54 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT