Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Certification

Posted By: Talktome <Katexmarie17@yahoo.com>
Date: Wednesday, 3 July 2013, at 6:14 p.m.

Hello,

I've been researching what I should do in regards to finding an ESL job and the certification that goes a long with this.

But, I haven't quite seen a post that applies to me. I am a licensed English teacher in the state of Massachusetts. I have been teaching ESL in the summer months and substituting during the academic year for three years at a private institution in Boston as I have a passing score on the ESL MTEL (teacher test). Does this even mean anything to employers abroad?

Now, I'd like to teach abroad in Europe (Spain or Italy)) or South America (Spanish speaking). Preferably, in a private institution, but I'm not opposed to public either. I'm just not sure what I should do about certification. I know that most everyone says avoid the online TESOL programs. BUT I'm wondering if maybe in my case in could be more effective. I know there's is no practicum involved, but between college and my job I have thousands of hours of experience, not to mention state regulated practicums.

I am of course, in the camp of believing that a teacher is never done learning so a CELTA or TESOL certification may be useful to me, but I just don't want to spend $$ and time for something I wouldn't find useful. If I'm going to need to spend lots of money, I rather begin investing in a masters degree.

So that being said, do I need the certification at all? Could online work for me? What about CELTA or TESOL? Should I look into a masters in linguistics or something along those lines?

I'll also add that I'd be looking to do this initially maybe 2 years, but possibly longer as a dream of mine is to have my own school. I speak Spanish and Italian conversationally (ie I can communicate, but never learned how to read or write in an academic setting). I also have dual citizenship between the USA and EU.

I'd very much appreciate any advice. Thanks so much!

Messages In This Thread

Certification
Talktome -- Wednesday, 3 July 2013, at 6:14 p.m.
Re: Certification
nomad soul -- Thursday, 4 July 2013, at 3:02 p.m.
talktome -- Friday, 5 July 2013, at 2:34 p.m.
Tim -- Friday, 5 July 2013, at 12:14 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT