Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Teaching at High School/University Level

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Tuesday, 25 June 2013, at 11:33 a.m.

In Response To: Teaching at High School/University Level (Annie)

I would love any and all advice from anyone about what certifications I need to teach at a high school or university level.

I have a TEFL certificate from a good 4 week class in Santiago, Chile, where I then did mostly one-on-one conversational classes using American English File for 10 months in Santiago in 2010. I have a BA in Communication from a 4 year liberal arts school. I'm 33. Other than that, I have no teaching experience.

I'd like to be able to make a salary that would allow me to live alone, and afford a flight home to Kentucky at least once a year... This is why I believe I need to work at a high school or university level, with a higher certification.

There is no "higher certification" unless you return to university and enroll in a graduate-level TEFL certificate program. That may or may not be enough to teach EFL to university students, especially since you have zero teaching experience. Obviously, a TEFL-related master's degree (plus relevant experience) would get you a teaching position at the tertiary level in the US and abroad.

For some countries, a teaching license from your state/home country and relevant experience are required to teach high schoolers in an international school or overseas public school system. If that interests you, check your state's education department website for requirements.

Those are your options. However, the key question you did not ask was where can you teach high school or university with minimal qualifications. Asia would be your best bet and should allow you to save some money for your flights to/from the US. I suggest you head over to the Cafe's job discussion forums (forums.eslcafe.com/job) for info on teaching in Asia. (You should start with the general Asia forum to determine which countries appeal to you.) The Korea forum is separate (forums.eslcafe.com/korea).

Messages In This Thread

Teaching at High School/University Level
Annie -- Monday, 24 June 2013, at 8:56 a.m.
Tim -- Tuesday, 25 June 2013, at 12:16 p.m.
nomad soul -- Tuesday, 25 June 2013, at 11:33 a.m.
nomad soul -- Tuesday, 25 June 2013, at 11:23 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT