Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: University teaching expernce; linguistics trai

Posted By: amymidwest <amymidwest@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 20 June 2013, at 9:57 a.m.

In Response To: University teaching expernce; linguistics training (Amy Wilhelm)

Nomad, thanks, I appreciate your reaction, it looks like all I want to do is teach Spanish, you are right. And Tim thanks for your thoughts: I am glad you think that there are some crossover skills I can emphasize in my self-marketing.

I am still here in the US and I really enjoyed teaching adults and love to teach language. I was thinking I could keep doing this in another country since it's so hard to find a job here teaching adults. (I would teach young people, too, if they are well behaved and respectful, if that is a trait at all possible to pinpoint in a given country, so I'm not ruling the K-12 age group out, am just a little weary of being able to ensure respectfulness and support with discipline in the school before taking a job. I have 3 years experience teaching high school.)

I like travelling and like the idea of learning another language. I have been looking a lot on this site and for someone like me who has university teaching experience who can stress second language teaching to see what opportunities are out there. I have found lots of related and helpful information, but I could use some help to set me off in some direction. Now I am posting again with a more direct question:

What kind of university teaching or adult teaching opportunities are reasonable or even reachable for me? To reiterate: I have a B.A. (not in English), taught adults for 4 years, some volunteer ESL teaching experience, and I have training in second language acquisition.
I am flexible on countries, but would prefer it not be really cold and I need access to nature for my peace of mind, (and there are factors of countries that through what I read on messages seem unfriendly or hostile toward outsiders which really scares me, like what I'm sensing with Korea and China -- but I can rule places out based on this later).

I know nothing is perfect, but I just want to be able to save some money, teach people who are interested in learning, and work in a supported and trustworthy environment. I can get CELTA, too, but I want to get an idea of country opportunities first so I can take CELTA in the region to be able to launch job search more easily.

I hope I don't seem really whiney in this post. Just thought I could use a little help. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, if this is becoming a general/newbie forum question, I can post my question there.

Amy

Messages In This Thread

University teaching expernce; linguistics training
Amy Wilhelm -- Tuesday, 22 January 2013, at 5:45 p.m.
nomad soul -- Wednesday, 23 January 2013, at 3:42 p.m.
Tim -- Thursday, 24 January 2013, at 11:49 a.m.
amymidwest -- Thursday, 20 June 2013, at 9:57 a.m.
nomad soul -- Friday, 21 June 2013, at 11:01 a.m.
spiral78 -- Friday, 21 June 2013, at 9:51 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT