Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Teaching with an MA TESOL but no degree

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2013, at 10:19 a.m.

In Response To: Teaching with an MA TESOL but no degree (vicky williams)

Hi, I am about to apply for an MA TESOL/Education by distance learning with Nottingham University. Where would I be able to teach with this but no BA? I studied two years of an English/French degree, and it would take me two years to finish this with the Open University. However, if I could gain a place with the MA TESOL/Ed which also takes two years part-time, would it be beneficial for me to take this instead? I understand that many countries, esp Asian, may have probs with accepting an MA without a BA...where is this not a problem/is it still a prob in most places? I know the Ministry of Higher Ed in UAE would accept a distance learning MA, so I could teach in Universities, but can't find any info on whether the lack of BA would be a problem...also would like to know if this would be an issue in Japan?? Thanks for any info/advice.

No one can say for sure if your lack of a bachelor's degree will negatively affect your employability. It depends on the job requirements, and those requirements can change---what's acceptable now may not be a year or two down the road. In other words, your short cut may not get you short-listed.

UAE universities are very likely to require you to have that BA; I've seen it specified in job postings for the major unis. But even if it's not indicated in an ad, it's best to assume it is. Plus, the question of not having a BA could come up during an interview, if you even get that far. (UAE employers require a relevant MA + 3 years of uni-level teaching gained post-grad degree conferral.) Generally, Mid East employers love credentials---the more you have, the better you look.

You have several options: 1) take your chances with just the MA; 2) bite the bullet and finish your BA before going for an MA; or 3) look for an academic program that will let you finish both your BA and MA concurrently.

By the way, there's a member named Sudz who had numerous threads on the Cafe's job discussion forums about this very issue. You might try the Asia job discussion forums, where Sudz frequently posts. (I believe Japan is one of them.)

Messages In This Thread

Teaching with an MA TESOL but no degree
vicky williams -- Tuesday, 11 June 2013, at 6:23 a.m.
srkoskinen -- Tuesday, 11 June 2013, at 1:41 p.m.
Tim -- Tuesday, 11 June 2013, at 11:52 a.m.
nomad soul -- Wednesday, 12 June 2013, at 10:19 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT