Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Do you need more than a degree to teach?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Friday, 17 May 2013, at 1:34 p.m.

In Response To: Do you need more than a degree to teach? (Juliette Cooke)

I'm doing a BA, double majoring in Japanese and Linguistics & English Language Teaching with the hopes of teaching English in Japan. I'm trying to work out whether I need more qualifications like TESOL or CELTA to ensure I get a job, and what are the differences between the two? I've looked at a lot of sites offering courses for certificates and diplomas for TESOL and CELTA but am not sure whether they are actually necessary or not.

CELTA, SIT TESOL, Trinity CertTESOL as well as non-branded TEFL certs have been discussed quite a bit within this forum. For some Japanese employers, an entry-level teaching qualification isn't a requirement. Still, it's recommended; having a CELTA or similar cert will certainly help you compete for the better jobs. Check the ESL Cafe's Japan jobs discussion forum for more info on qualifications.

Another option... Since one of your majors is in ELT, why not talk to your program advisor about doing a practice teaching component as a 2 or 3 credit elective? That's assuming your degree program doesn't already include a practicum. Either way, it will give you the supervised teacher training you're looking for in lieu of a separate, standalone TEFL cert. For instance, my MAT included a teaching component, and whenever potential employers have asked if I have a TEFL cert, I just refer them to the graded, 135-hour ESOL practicum indicated on my transcript.

Messages In This Thread

Do you need more than a degree to teach?
Juliette Cooke -- Thursday, 16 May 2013, at 1:14 p.m.
Tim -- Friday, 17 May 2013, at 4:34 p.m.
nomad soul -- Friday, 17 May 2013, at 1:34 p.m.
Gab -- Saturday, 18 May 2013, at 1:00 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT