Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Jobs for seniors

Posted By: Global Teacher
Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2013, at 5:42 p.m.

In Response To: Jobs for seniors (Grace)

I got a job in Shanghai at RMB 23,000 a month in 2008 when I was 61 and another in Zhengzhou at RMB 17000 a month when I was 66. While I was there they hired another 66 year and also a 72 year old with no experience on a three month renewable contract. The province allows antiques to work because it is not a popular place for EFL teachers. I was offered another job in Hangzhou at age 67 last week but then they found they could not get a visa because of age (over 65) even if I were registered as a consultant undertaking local university studies. Several Korean recruiters have told me in the last week that age is not a problem in Korea but you should apply face to face. Vietnam and Cambodia may be all right. Thailand used to be fine.

At that time I do not have a TEFL certificate. I am a qualified British teacher, a language school DOS and assistant professor of EAL in several universities, and have an M.Ed in TEFL plus a PhD but I was often rejected for jobs because I did have a four week CELTA. Eventually I took the course but was disturbed to find it not only outrageously priced but also trivial and elementary and too often administered by trainers with attitude who believed that anyone who is a state trained teacher or has a higher degree is too ďacademicĒ and therefore unfit to teach English as an additional language. Nevertheless it seems essential. I think therefore you ought to get a TEFL certificate but if you have a business, science, maths or engineering degree it may not be necessary.

Messages In This Thread

Jobs for seniors
Grace -- Tuesday, 23 April 2013, at 6:34 a.m.
Global Teacher -- Tuesday, 23 April 2013, at 5:42 p.m.
Glbal Teacher -- Wednesday, 24 April 2013, at 1:23 p.m.
nomad soul -- Tuesday, 23 April 2013, at 9:37 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT