Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Looking to Switch Careers to ESL

Posted By: Keri <nebkeriura@juno.com>
Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2013, at 9:22 a.m.

I am 33 years old, a native Tennesseean, married with no children. I have a B.A. degree in History, but I have a strong background in English (meaning I was 1 class shy of having a creative writing minor). I have nearly 9 years of experience as a paralegal and have been laid off twice in 5 years. Yesterday I lost one of my part-time jobs. I told my husband that maybe it's a sign I need to do something else for a living.

I lived and worked in Ireland for a summer on a (non-teaching) work-abroad program in 2001 and loved it. (I have several other trips to the U.K. under my belt, too.) When I came back from Ireland, I wanted to teach English in Japan, but I had too much debt to afford to work overseas.

Now I have no debt, but also no job. (My husband is also unemployed at this time and can't even get any interviews.) So, I've been thinking about becoming an ESL teacher. I may consider teaching abroad (Japan, Israel, Europe/U.K.), but I think my husband would prefer to stay stateside at present. I would guess that places like Texas (a place we have already been considering) have a pretty big need for ESL teachers, given the immigrant population.

So, how does one start this process? I'm terrified of getting taken in by some diploma mill that will take my money and give me a certificate that no one will recognize. I know that there is no universally-accepted certificate, but I would like one that could get me teaching in the U.S. and have a reasonable chance of being accepted abroad.

I would prefer to teach adults, but would accept a position teaching children. Or maybe there's a niche market for business English that would be good for me, given my legal background? I can 'hitherto' and 'notwithstanding' with the best of them.

Messages In This Thread

Looking to Switch Careers to ESL
Keri -- Tuesday, 23 April 2013, at 9:22 a.m.
Re: Looking to Switch Careers to ESL
nomad soul -- Wednesday, 24 April 2013, at 2:23 p.m.
Stephen -- Wednesday, 24 April 2013, at 11:12 a.m.
Global Teacher -- Thursday, 25 April 2013, at 2:30 p.m.
majeh -- Sunday, 28 April 2013, at 11:11 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT