Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Need Advice

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Thursday, 4 April 2013, at 1:42 a.m.

In Response To: Need Advice (Tyler)

My name is Tyler and I'm from the States. I have a degree but no teaching certification. I'm currently in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa and I love traveling. I'm interested in teaching English abroad; however, I don't think I'm looking at this to be a long-term career. I'm looking at it as more of a way to find rewarding employment while I travel. I leave here in about 4 months and I am interested in getting certified. I have several questions because I don't know much about this endeavor.

I've briefly looked into CELTA and TEFL. CELTA here in Melbourne costs over $3,000 and I simply can't afford that. Is it really worth it?? I don't live near a TEFL in-class course location. The TEFL combined course is also don't appear to be offered at a nearby location. The online classes look like they are very reasonably priced, but I've read where they are looked down upon. I also have thought about going to Asia to either do an a combined online/in-class course or just an in-class course for a month (after I leave Australia). I am interested in teaching in South America, Asia, and/or Europe...with South America (or a Spanish speaking country) probably leading the way because I would like to learn some Spanish myself.

I want a certification to be worth my time and money. However, I'm not willing to spend an absolute fortune either. At the same time, I don't want to struggle to find a decent job after getting a certification...especially considering I've heard you can get a job without a certification as long as you are a native English speaker with a degree. Does anyone have some solid advice for me? I obviously want to make a smart decision here and any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
eas?

Once you return to the US, get a volunteer ESL classroom teaching assistant position with one of your local nonprofit, ESL refugee or literacy organizations. It will allow you to teach under the guidance of an experienced teacher. Commit to at least 3 months. This experience offers an opportunity to see if you even like teaching. If it suits you, then consider doing the CELTA or equivalent TEFL cert course in the country you want to teach in, and subsequently, head overseas. Be aware that the better your credentials (i.e., quality of TEFL cert), the better the job prospects and pay/benefits, which is key if you expect to earn enough to fund any traveling during your free time.

I suggest you also head over to the ESL Cafe's newbie job discussion forum; this topic comes up often.

Messages In This Thread

Need Advice
Tyler -- Tuesday, 2 April 2013, at 11:44 p.m.
ICAL TEFL -- Thursday, 4 April 2013, at 6:39 a.m.
Tyler -- Thursday, 4 April 2013, at 7:49 p.m.
Tim -- Friday, 5 April 2013, at 1:22 p.m.
nomad soul -- Thursday, 4 April 2013, at 1:42 a.m.
Global Teacher -- Wednesday, 3 April 2013, at 7:07 p.m.
Tim -- Wednesday, 3 April 2013, at 11:02 a.m.
Tim -- Wednesday, 3 April 2013, at 11:00 a.m.
Tim -- Wednesday, 3 April 2013, at 10:57 a.m.
Tim -- Wednesday, 3 April 2013, at 10:53 a.m.
Oxford TEFL -- Friday, 5 April 2013, at 2:26 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT