Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

MA Open University

Posted By: Jalom <jalom18@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 12 March 2013, at 9:24 a.m.

Hello all;

I have a basic TESOL certification and plenty of experience, but it seems like a MA opens doors.

I am trying to decide which program is appropriate, given my career goals and current situation. Any insight or advice would be very welcome and appreciated!

I am a US citizen, so I am pretty sure that a MA would make me more competitive in Europe, where the job market is extremely tight and EU citizens have an easier time. It is also an entry requirement for US higher education institutions.

(My partner will be studying and working in Europe for a few years. That is why I am trying to butt in to this market.)

Since I can't stop working and go back to school full-time, and I am not getting any younger, I am only considering distance education or low-residency programs. I have been accepted to SIT, which I know is a great school, but it's very, very expensive, even with a scholarship, and going with Open University would give me a comparable level of training, an accredited MA, and would leave me debt-free! I also applied to New School--haven't heard back yet--but it's about the same as SIT.

Open University gives you the option of taking the Trinity Licentiate Diploma in TESOL and applying that study towards the MA. If anyone knows anything about how the Trinity Dip is regarded, especially in Europe, or has taken it, I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say too!

In the long term, I probably will want to live in the US and an MA is generally required for teaching in Intensive English Programs at universities and community colleges.

What I DON'T know is whether the Open University MA would be less useful for me because a) it's distance education or b) it's from the UK. Either or both of these factors could negatively impact the hiring decisions of US universities (yes, completely unjustifiably, I know), but I believe that extensive experience and demonstrable knowledge should more than make up for any disadvantage I would have. Does anyone agree or disagree?

I know I am offering a lot of information; I am trying to articulate all of my relevant considerations.

Again, THANK YOU to anyone willing to take the time to read, consider, and comment.

Messages In This Thread

MA Open University
Jalom -- Tuesday, 12 March 2013, at 9:24 a.m.
Re: MA Open University
spiral78 -- Tuesday, 12 March 2013, at 11:09 a.m.
Tim -- Friday, 15 March 2013, at 5:42 p.m.
Jalom -- Monday, 18 March 2013, at 9:53 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT