Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Tesols.com/Groupon

Posted By: KS-TESOL <srkoskinen@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, 4 March 2013, at 9:47 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Tesols.com/Groupon (Tim)

Hi,
Would like to present a slightly different view about this particular TESOL/Groupon offer. First of all, I took a similar course for 49.00 about a year ago. It's not accredited, but I have a degree in English Literature, and have been out of school for quite a few years. I decided that 49.00 was worth it to see where I stood in English Composition, and how much work I would need to get up to speed. Turns out I did pretty well, but it did require a review of the basics, which I also received through the program.

It took less than ten minutes after entering their first class intro for me to realize that they were teaching a 'cut and paste' program, literally taking the instruction out of books you could easily purchase on Amazon.com, but that was okay. For the money, I felt it was worth it to go through the paces of online learning in a make-believe classroom.
I passed the program a week early, they gave me a certificate that I could have downloaded myself had I went to Microsoftonline.com, and took the next step. I signed up with a service, and became a one-on-one and group TESOL tutor for 30.00 - 45.00 dollars an hour.

That was last year, and I am now considering whether to go back to school, or just find a really good online program with a certification that is respectable enough that I can either create work here or go abroad.
Remember - to teach K-12 in the U.S. you have a degree, which you don't get without the teaching credential, and you have to take the Praxis and possibility another exam for the TESOL.

Bottom line: Don't expect any more than the 'basics' from any program charging between 50.00 - 200.00. But I wouldn't pay any more than 100.00. Sure, they may tell you that you'll get all this extra certification for taking an extra class, or that you'll get a 500.00 course for free if you sign up by a certain date, but why are they giving it away with a 149.00 package? The reason is simple: You can find the same coursework in any TESOL book on Amazon.com for 39.00, that's why. So, save the extra money, and buy the book yourself. If it's what you want to do, it'll be the first book of your TESOL library, which is what I've been doing.

When you consider how many people spend their time and money signing up for a class at a community college, only to find themselves hating the class, the subject, the traveling, and having it cost 600.00 just to find that out? 69.00 isn't too bad, in my opinion.
Take the class:`P

Messages In This Thread

Tesols.com/Groupon
CindyVA. -- Tuesday, 26 February 2013, at 9:04 a.m.
nomad soul -- Wednesday, 27 February 2013, at 11:18 a.m.
K. K. -- Monday, 15 April 2013, at 7:10 a.m.
Tim -- Thursday, 18 April 2013, at 11:43 a.m.
Lisa C -- Friday, 21 June 2013, at 12:37 p.m.
Tim -- Sunday, 23 June 2013, at 11:53 a.m.
Tina Greggs -- Saturday, 6 July 2013, at 4:43 p.m.
nomad soul -- Sunday, 26 January 2014, at 5:06 p.m.
Elizabeth -- Thursday, 18 September 2014, at 12:27 p.m.
Anne -- Wednesday, 26 February 2014, at 1:41 p.m.
nomad soul -- Thursday, 27 February 2014, at 11:46 p.m.
Elizabeth -- Thursday, 18 September 2014, at 12:12 p.m.
ICAL TEFL -- Friday, 1 March 2013, at 5:30 a.m.
Tim -- Friday, 1 March 2013, at 10:33 a.m.
KS-TESOL -- Monday, 4 March 2013, at 9:47 a.m.
Charlie -- Sunday, 3 March 2013, at 5:22 p.m.
Richard -- Saturday, 25 January 2014, at 8:39 a.m.
spiral78 -- Sunday, 26 January 2014, at 11:27 p.m.
Becca -- Friday, 31 January 2014, at 3:15 p.m.
Dianne -- Sunday, 17 August 2014, at 10:46 a.m.
spiral78 -- Sunday, 17 August 2014, at 11:03 p.m.
Tim -- Sunday, 17 August 2014, at 3:49 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT