Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: OnTESOL online course

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Friday, 1 March 2013, at 11:49 a.m.

In Response To: OnTESOL online course (Nikki)

I know, I know, online TEFL courses are usually garbage. HOWEVER, from the reviews I've read about this course online, and from their website (www.ontesol.com), it seems pretty legit. Has anyone here actually taken this course, or do you have any additional information about it? I want to get a legitimate certificate that is equivalent to the CELTA or the CertTesol, but I can't afford to take 4 weeks or so off to do it in person, nor can I afford most of the fees PLUS housing to do it in person.

In case you're interested, I'm teaching in China right now, at a language school in a tier 3 city. The school is fine, I'm enjoying teaching, but I want to continue to get better, both for myself and my students, and I want more opportunities, possibly in other countries, in the future.

You won't find an online TEFL cert course that matches the caliber of CELTA, Trinity certTESOL, SIT TESOL, or even some non-brand, onsite TEFL certs courses. Online certs lack crucial supervised practice teaching. This is the key component of CELTA and other similar TEFL courses. In other words, they provide proof that your training included practice teaching (with real students) that was supervised and evaluated, which is what the better overseas employers want to see.

If you're serious about improving your teaching skills as well as your abililty to compete for jobs in other countries, then consider saving up for a CELTA and taking it in the next country you plan to teach in. You certainly don't want to get an online TEFL cert, only to turn around and have to spend additional money for a legit, onsite TEFL cert or CELTA course. In fact, a friend of mine missed out on a plum teaching opportunity a couple of years ago; her online cert wasn't accepted and she couldn't get into a CELTA program fast enough to qualify for the position. Like you, she felt her budget-friendly, online TEFL cert would suffice. She now has a Trinity certTESOL but still kicks herself for not getting it sooner.

Messages In This Thread

OnTESOL online course
Nikki -- Friday, 1 March 2013, at 6:32 a.m.
nomad soul -- Friday, 1 March 2013, at 11:49 a.m.
Gab -- Monday, 4 March 2013, at 7:41 a.m.
Nikki -- Monday, 4 March 2013, at 4:46 p.m.
nomad soul -- Tuesday, 5 March 2013, at 1:54 p.m.
Nikki -- Monday, 4 March 2013, at 4:41 p.m.
Tim -- Friday, 1 March 2013, at 10:26 a.m.
Nikki -- Monday, 4 March 2013, at 4:35 p.m.
Nikki -- Monday, 4 March 2013, at 4:42 p.m.
nomad soul -- Thursday, 7 March 2013, at 1:11 p.m.
Julie -- Friday, 28 June 2013, at 6:51 p.m.
Jess -- Saturday, 19 October 2013, at 1:44 a.m.
Bruce Baggett -- Monday, 9 December 2013, at 12:27 p.m.
Jess -- Wednesday, 5 February 2014, at 7:32 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT