Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: MA credits vs. TEFL Cert

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Wednesday, 20 February 2013, at 11:32 a.m.

In Response To: MA credits vs. TEFL Cert (Patrick)

I am currently enrolled in an online MA in Applied Linguistics program. Many of the jobs I see poseted require a TEFL certification. A TEFL cert requires 12 credits, which is how many credits I have toward my degree. Is it worth it to apply to these jobs, under the theory that I have the same number of credits, I just don't have my paper yet?

It's hard to say without seeing the actual employment ads, but generally, employers require a TEFL certificate as proof you've received practical teacher training in ESL/EFL. There are online TEFL certs; however, the best TEFL certificate courses are conducted onsite in a classroom and entail a minimum 120 hours of instruction along with supervised practice teaching with real students. Brand name certs such as CELTA, Trinity certTESOL, SIT TESOL fit the bill. Some non-brand, onsite TEFL certs also meet this requirement.

The number of credits you've already completed toward your degree isn't relevant in these job situations; you need to show employers you have an initial teaching qualification (AKA a TEFL cert) if your goal is to teach. Since your degree program is online, I assume the TEFL cert course credits you referred to are also available online through your university. You might check with your advisor about completing the cert courses as a standalone qualification. That is, you'd have an MA in Applied Ling in addition to a TEFL certificate. However, I strongly suggest you forego online certificates altogether and look into getting a CELTA or equivalent, onsite TEFL cert because 1) your MA isn't specific to teaching; 2) you're completing your degree online, which may not be accepted in certain parts of the world; and 3) an online TEFL cert will limit where you can teach. (By the way, all of the teachers I work with---those with an MA in Applied Ling---also have a CELTA or equivalent TEFL certificate.) Anyway, there may be CELTA course providers in the area where you currently live, or as another option, consider taking the course in the country you want to teach in.

For advice and info on jobs and requirements, check out the Cafe's country-specific job discussion forums.

Messages In This Thread

MA credits vs. TEFL Cert
Patrick -- Monday, 18 February 2013, at 9:03 p.m.
Global Teacher -- Tuesday, 19 February 2013, at 8:15 p.m.
Tim -- Tuesday, 19 February 2013, at 10:33 a.m.
nomad soul -- Wednesday, 20 February 2013, at 11:32 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT