Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Short Semi decent TEFL Course reccomendations

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Friday, 8 February 2013, at 1:54 p.m.

In Response To: Short Semi decent TEFL Course reccomendations (Daniel)

I have managed to land a job with an international school in Shanghai starting after Chinese New Year. I have no experience and no TESOL (I think they were getting desperate!) but would like a recommendation for a short online course(around 50 hours) I can do over the holidays to make sure I am not completely green when school starts.

Hmm... A short, semi-decent online TEFL course... None that I can recommend. However, near the top of this webpage, underneath the ESL Cafe banner, you'll find a drop-down box with plenty of links to a variety of TEFL courses. There's sure to be one that has what you're looking for. Given your short time, something is better than nothing!

A couple of suggestions: Between now and the time you depart abroad for your new job in Shanghai, contact a few non-profit ESL organizations in your area for permission to observe some of their classes. Additionally, the British Council website has teaching videos for viewing as well as lessons, materials, activities, etc. There's also the ESL Cafe's China jobs discussion forum where you can connect with seasoned EFL teachers already working in China.

None of this substitutes for a full-blown, 100+ hour TEFL course with supervised teaching practice, but hopefully, you won't feel completely lost when you actually start teaching. Plus, I'm sure your employer will provide training. Good luck! And happy new year!

Messages In This Thread

Short Semi decent TEFL Course reccomendations
Daniel -- Thursday, 7 February 2013, at 11:10 p.m.
nomad soul -- Friday, 8 February 2013, at 1:54 p.m.
ICAL TEFL -- Tuesday, 12 February 2013, at 4:23 a.m.
ITTP TEFL Prague / Online -- Monday, 18 February 2013, at 4:20 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT