Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: CELTA vs. S.I.T.

Posted By: Matthew <mattnoble4@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 15 January 2013, at 5:31 p.m.

In Response To: Re: CELTA vs. S.I.T. (nomad soul)

I have taken both courses. I took the CELTA in 2005 and the SIT TESOL in 2007.

I can say from personal experience that the courses are generally 'equivalent' in terms of structure, content, and focus on teaching practice.

The one difference in my experience was the 'intensity factor' - in this regard I found the CELTA to be "superior" - that is, if you're looking for a course that is extremely challenging, really grinding.

Keep in mind, however, that the CELTA was my first course...the SIT TESOL, to me, was bound to feel comparatively easy as it was a re-tread, essentially.

Other trainees had a similar experience I had had on the CELTA two years before.

Trying to 'look from above' however, as much as possible anyway..I personally found the SIT TESOL to be a biiiiit more 'laid back' - even while keeping trainees essentially as busy as the CELTA did. Perhaps it's a cultural thing: SIT is a hippy school in Vermont, Cambridge is...well, it's Cambridge.

So I'd recommend either. From my perspective - having taken both of these, sat in for while on another more local course, and talked with perhaps 100 people about their courses...you'll be golden either way, these courses are the cream of the crop if you're at all 'serious' about getting started in ELT.

Messages In This Thread

CELTA vs. S.I.T.
Lyra -- Sunday, 23 December 2012, at 5:57 p.m.
Tim -- Tuesday, 25 December 2012, at 12:23 p.m.
spiral78 -- Tuesday, 25 December 2012, at 3:44 a.m.
nomad soul -- Monday, 24 December 2012, at 12:42 p.m.
Matthew -- Tuesday, 15 January 2013, at 5:31 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT