Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: CELTA vs. S.I.T.

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Monday, 24 December 2012, at 12:42 p.m.

In Response To: CELTA vs. S.I.T. (Lyra)

I'm considering either CELTA or SIT one month intensive course for certification. I don't hear much on this site about S.I.T. and wonder if anyone has experiecnce with their certification course. Or would I be better off going with CELTA?

I can't give you my personal experience; I don't have a TEFL cert because my master's program included a practical component. However, I'm in the Middle East---where TEFL salaries are some of the highest in the world---and have friends and colleagues teaching in prep year programs who have certs ranging from the CELTA to SIT to even general 120-hour TEFL certs (those that entailed onsite instruction and supervised practice teaching with real students). Employers in this region generally require applicants possess a recognized teaching qualification, which the SIT, CELTA, and Trinity CertTESOL brands fit. An equivalent TEFL cert, as described, suffices as well. In fact, it's unusual to see a TEFL job ad for the region indicating a specific certificate. That's not to say employers in other parts of the world don't have a preference.

You're likely to get biased opinions on this forum and may even be told that an online TEFL cert or no cert is enough. But, frankly, your best source for comparisons is the Internet. You'll find this subject has been fully addressed---do a search using: sit celta trinity. Also look at the better jobs in the regions where you want to teach to see what qualifications employers are expecting, and use that info as a guide when deciding which TEFL cert fits your needs, interests, and budget. By the way, keep in mind these certificates are entry-level teaching qualifications---their purpose is to prepare you for entry into the field of teaching EFL.

Messages In This Thread

CELTA vs. S.I.T.
Lyra -- Sunday, 23 December 2012, at 5:57 p.m.
Tim -- Tuesday, 25 December 2012, at 12:23 p.m.
spiral78 -- Tuesday, 25 December 2012, at 3:44 a.m.
nomad soul -- Monday, 24 December 2012, at 12:42 p.m.
Matthew -- Tuesday, 15 January 2013, at 5:31 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT