Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Volunteer ESL tutor looking for best certifica

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Friday, 21 December 2012, at 12:52 p.m.

In Response To: Volunteer ESL tutor looking for best certificate (M. Leigh)

I am currently teaching a small ESL class of 5 adult students from China and Japan for 4 hours a week. I have taken a 12-hour training course through my city's literacy council. Through this I've already gained over a 100 hours of experience - would this count as an "equivalent" to getting an ESL certification online or through say, Oxford or CELTA? Or what course would you recommend to someone who already has a grasp of teaching ESL, but wants to improve her teaching skills and job competitiveness?

Kudos to you for volunteer tutoring; it's how I got my first taste of TESL and was a great way to do something rewarding. As for your training question, the answer is no, 12 hours of training doesn't compare to the 120 hours of instruction the CELTA and similar TEFL certs entail. It's also important to have at least 6 hours of supervised teaching practice with real students, which the CELTA includes. (A 'no' for Oxford Seminars as well; their teacher trainees practice using their peers as students.)

Go for a CELTA or equivalent on-site TEFL cert (some colleges and unis offer something similar) if you're interested in making TEFL a career and increasing your odds at getting the better jobs overseas. A relevant master's degree can wait until you've built experience. By the way, volunteer tutoring a small group of students isn't considered teaching experience; employers generally want to see (paid) classroom teaching experience with a full group of students. (I personally teach a class of 30 in Saudi Arabia.) However, a BA + solid TEFL cert is enough to get you an entry-level position in many overseas locations.

Also, I see you're in Pennsylvania. You might consider becoming a member of PennTESOL, an affiliate of TESOL International. They can be a great resource and they offer networking opportunities as well as workshops and seminars.

Lastly, although you didn't say where you wanted to teach---what your plans were, I suggest you check out the job discussion forums on this site.

Messages In This Thread

Volunteer ESL tutor looking for best certificate
M. Leigh -- Thursday, 20 December 2012, at 7:54 p.m.
Tim -- Friday, 21 December 2012, at 2:50 p.m.
nomad soul -- Friday, 21 December 2012, at 12:52 p.m.
ICAL TEFL -- Monday, 24 December 2012, at 3:07 a.m.
M.Leigh -- Tuesday, 25 December 2012, at 4:41 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT