Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Celta tutor bias toward experienced teachers

Posted By: oobe3 <oobe3@hotmail.com>
Date: Sunday, 25 November 2012, at 7:44 p.m.

In Response To: Celta tutor bias toward experienced teachers (Nate)

Yes, I agree with spiral78 - it seems you are talking of a bias against people coming to a CELTA course with experience.

Of course it's possible you had a trainer who had this bias for whatever reason - CELTA trainers are regular flawed humanoids after all. I would argue, though, that if this was the case it doesn't represent any sort of blanket policy.

As a trainer, you can certainly see that some teachers with a lot of previous experience do have problems adjusting to new techniques, despite consciously seeing the value in them. These people need sensitive support and encouragement rather than being singled out for excessive criticism.

On the other hand, plenty of people with previous experience who are able to assimilate new ideas/techniques do very well. In my experience problems can arise when someone with previous experience simply refuses to accept new ideas/techniques. This is a great shame after paying good money to go on a training course. A little research will reveal what communicative language teaching is about and if the person decides that is not the way they want to teach, they could save themselves a lot of money and time.

However, in my experience these cases are a very small minority and do not prompt any sort of preconception on the part of any trainers I have worked with. The vast majority of trainees work very hard, learn a lot and do well to complete a challenging and intense course.

Messages In This Thread

Celta tutor bias toward experienced teachers
Nate -- Thursday, 22 November 2012, at 10:02 p.m.
Stephen -- Friday, 23 November 2012, at 11:25 a.m.
spiral78 -- Saturday, 24 November 2012, at 1:31 a.m.
Global Teacher -- Friday, 23 November 2012, at 3:29 p.m.
Global Teacher -- Friday, 23 November 2012, at 3:38 p.m.
Global Teacher -- Friday, 23 November 2012, at 3:45 p.m.
oobe3 -- Sunday, 25 November 2012, at 7:44 p.m.
CELTA Trainers Are Intimedated by Teachers with MA
Absolutely Spot On -- Thursday, 13 December 2012, at 4:28 p.m.
Re: CELTA Trainers Are Intimedated by Teachers wit
mbibt -- Wednesday, 19 December 2012, at 1:08 p.m.
Re: CELTA Trainers Are Intimedated by Teachers wit
Flo -- Sunday, 13 January 2013, at 9:52 a.m.
Re: CELTA Trainers Are Intimidated by Teachers wit
Jo Gakonga -- Friday, 19 April 2013, at 2:45 a.m.
Re: CELTA Trainers Are Intimidated by Teachers wit
nomad soul -- Friday, 19 April 2013, at 11:26 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT