Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: TESOL or CELTA in Toronto

Posted By: My Name is Joe and I AM. CANADIAN.
Date: Friday, 15 October 2010, at 7:30 p.m.

In Response To: TESOL or CELTA in Toronto (April)

If you want to use it to apply to teacher's college, then you might want to think about applying to a year-long TESOL teaching program from a university (UofT and York both have one) or college (Humber and a few others have them). Look up TESL Ontario. It's a pretty common reason for people being in those programs, actually. Most people who do the year-long certificates graduate and then teach for a couple of years and then either do a masters degree in Applied Linguistics/ TESOL (the bizarre thing is that a one-year certificate in TESOL is the same as a masters degree in TESOL in Australia/ UK etc in terms of breadth and depth [although North American programs concentrate far less on sociolinguistics than Australian and British ones] or other countries. You have to do what others do as a masters degree in order to apply to a masters degree in Ontario!) or they do a B.Ed. In fact, UofT OISIE now offers a M.Ed in 2nd language education that requires either a one-year TESL certificate OR a B.Ed for entry (they describe them as 'initial teacher certification').

The reason is that if you do a one-year certificate in TESOL (or TESL or D-TEIL etc), you can count the certificate itself as an education experience on top of teaching children in Ecuador or wherever you end up going (so if you need three things to apply to a B.Ed at UofT, and you've already been a TA, then doing a year-long TESL certificate and then teaching in Ecuador would be the other two). Those programs will count as additional qualifications after doing your primary/junior B.Ed (so you would be able to teach ESL in elementary schools).

They're two different paths from the TESOL-Certificate. The certificate itself is for teaching adults in LINC centres, but many people use them overseas. I went into the JET program after mine and taught junior highs and elementary schools. This is a very common thing to do. I arrived on JET with a goal of trying to decide which I wanted to do- teach English language (at the university level, meaning I'd do a masters degree in Applied Linguistics/ TESOL) or teach at the intermediate/senior level (I have the courses for two teachables: English and History). I decided on language teaching, but never left Japan and instead did a masters degree in TESOL through a university in Australia.

Anyway, I'm just letting you know, because if you go with a CELTA or something like that, then the training won't actually count for anything on an application to a B.Ed. (and you wouldn't be able to teach ESL through LINC centres and it may even be difficult to get a job teaching ESL in a language school because of the number of people in Toronto who do university and college TESL certificates).

Messages In This Thread

TESOL or CELTA in Toronto
April -- Friday, 15 October 2010, at 9:08 a.m.
My Name is Joe and I AM. CANADIAN. -- Friday, 15 October 2010, at 7:30 p.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Sunday, 17 October 2010, at 5:35 a.m.
April -- Sunday, 17 October 2010, at 6:19 p.m.
My Name is Joe and I AM. CANADIAN -- Tuesday, 19 October 2010, at 4:41 p.m.
Andrew -- Sunday, 31 October 2010, at 1:59 p.m.
Elizabeth -- Monday, 11 February 2013, at 12:26 p.m.
Tim -- Monday, 11 February 2013, at 11:25 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT