Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: The New School

Posted By: Art Sha Dupp
Date: Thursday, 15 July 2010, at 7:36 a.m.

In Response To: Re: The New School (Jason)

I realize that the New School is respected and well-known. It also has a reputation for being... well, for lack of a better word, let's say it's "alternative". It has won awards for its stand on teaching style, a more, err.. student-centered style.
In he land of free enterprise, nearly anything of possible. One need only look at the University of Phoenix for an example of that. They have created a degree-granting university there, degrees which, unfortunately for many of its graduates, are not recognized by other universities. For many employers, however, such credentials are good enough to get one hired.
The New School may have many good programs, granted. It is difficult to judge the quality of such programs as much of the rating comes from graduate feedback (see the other post here), whic is totally subjective. What I really asked was if the degree was recognized by ohter universities - ie has anyone recieved an MA Tesol from the New School and gone on to be accepted by another institution for a Phd program. This question was ignored.
I stand by my questioning of the New School for employing someone who does not have the proper qualifications to deliver such a course. Experience and reputation re not the issue here - universitites do NOT hire people with undergraduate degrees in unrelated fields as insdtructors, other than as teaching assistants. (TA's are usually graduate students). The other poster's comments indicate that JM has been teaching there for a considerable period, yet the university does not list him as part of their teaching staff. Does that not seem unusual? It COULD be a clerical error, or it could just as easily be that they do not wish to put their course in a situation where it could be criticized for unethical behaviour (hiring someone who does not have the proper lettering behind their name).
And please, lay off the "that's Ari" BS. Just ONCE I'd like someone to notice that it was not I who started the personal attacks on a thread (please read the thread carefully and you will notice that the attacks started from JM). At least I am consistent and don't make comments about taking the high road and staying away from such behavior, when in fact those who take the high road are merely taking a detour from the low road on which they began.
Man up, someone, and state here that yes, you reread the thread and JM fired the first personal volley. Perhaps you should check the archives and read the thread where JM "challenged" me to 'walk the walk and talk the talk'. He gets what he deserves, sometimes.
Of course, I have no vested interests in books, online courses, CELTA courses, or online MA courses, no desire to use this forum to advertise them, and, though my behaviour might be questionable to some, it is ethical.
Check out how other people introduce themselves.... I'm Jane Smith from Berlin and I am a CELTA trainer....., for example. No specific mention of the school they are affiliated to or any other paraphenalia. And they DON'T put a link to their personal website (which has links to and advertising for their other ventures)

Messages In This Thread

Coming: online CELTA
Betsy Reinheimer -- Thursday, 24 June 2010, at 9:46 p.m.
Re: Coming: online CELTA
Ari Sha Dupp -- Friday, 25 June 2010, at 7:44 a.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Sunday, 4 July 2010, at 5:49 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Sunday, 4 July 2010, at 10:26 a.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Saturday, 10 July 2010, at 4:27 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Saturday, 10 July 2010, at 8:48 a.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Sunday, 11 July 2010, at 2:47 p.m.
Bent out of Shape?
Ari Sha Dupp -- Monday, 12 July 2010, at 7:34 a.m.
The New School
Jeff Mohamed -- Tuesday, 13 July 2010, at 4:03 a.m.
Cathy -- Tuesday, 13 July 2010, at 1:39 p.m.
Jason -- Tuesday, 13 July 2010, at 12:03 p.m.
Art Sha Dupp -- Thursday, 15 July 2010, at 7:36 a.m.
Jason -- Thursday, 15 July 2010, at 11:49 a.m.
Global Teacher -- Wednesday, 14 July 2010, at 5:09 p.m.
Global Teacher -- Wednesday, 14 July 2010, at 5:07 p.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Thursday, 15 July 2010, at 12:53 p.m.
Jason -- Friday, 16 July 2010, at 5:44 p.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Monday, 19 July 2010, at 1:27 p.m.
Jason -- Tuesday, 20 July 2010, at 1:15 p.m.
Scott Thornbury -- Friday, 23 July 2010, at 5:17 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Wednesday, 28 July 2010, at 10:32 p.m.
Jason -- Thursday, 29 July 2010, at 9:11 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Friday, 30 July 2010, at 6:57 a.m.
Global Teacher -- Saturday, 17 July 2010, at 11:33 p.m.
Global Taecher -- Saturday, 17 July 2010, at 11:32 p.m.
Christina -- Wednesday, 17 July 2013, at 12:11 a.m.
Global Teacher -- Friday, 9 July 2010, at 10:33 p.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Saturday, 10 July 2010, at 10:39 p.m.
Global Teacher -- Tuesday, 13 July 2010, at 3:50 a.m.
The Critic -- Tuesday, 20 July 2010, at 2:44 p.m.
Jason -- Wednesday, 21 July 2010, at 12:10 p.m.
mcsensei -- Friday, 23 July 2010, at 9:31 a.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Monday, 26 July 2010, at 4:43 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Thursday, 29 July 2010, at 6:26 a.m.
Vincent -- Sunday, 24 October 2010, at 10:05 p.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Tuesday, 26 October 2010, at 5:17 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Sunday, 25 July 2010, at 9:36 a.m.
Jason -- Monday, 26 July 2010, at 11:28 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Tuesday, 27 July 2010, at 9:13 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT