Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Coming: online CELTA

Posted By: Ari Sha Dupp
Date: Saturday, 10 July 2010, at 8:48 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Coming: online CELTA (Jeff Mohamed)

Ari has not forgotten that you run distance tesol courses through the company that you own, english international. It is through this forum that you gain the most advertising for it. A comment was made on a different thread about ethical behavior, which you chose to ignore by relating that it was obviously "appropriate'. You have more than a vested interest as a celta trainer here, and that transfers well to your own sideline activities.

You run distance tesol courses, yes, but the certificate is meaningless, as you have stated many times here, without a proper "on-site, monitored" supplementary course of 120 hours and minimum 6 hours guided teaching practice, which, uhhhhh.... describes the celta, a course you also "happen" to teach.

It is a shame that the New School allows people without the proper credentials to become instructors on a masters program. Despite one's experience (and I grant that yours, in terms of entry-level courses, is extensive) you only have an undergraduate degree (in an unrelated field, if I recall correctly) and definitely do not have the proven academic background that ought to be required to run such courses (background which Scott Thornbury and Jeremy Harmer, also trainers on the course, do have). You may have done a lot of reading and attended a lot of workshops and appear to be reasonably well-versed in some areas, but in terms of qualifications in that area, you are lacking. Ahhh, academic standards nowadays!

Well, perhaps you are involved in some way with teaching practice - that is an area that you have lots of experience in. Unfortunately, your name is not listed in the staff directory, neither on the entire site index nor on the MA tesol webpages themselves) so it is difficult to determine your exact role there.

Personally, if I took a distance course, I would rather it would be with an institution where the trainers actually SET FOOT within the brick and mortar of the institution on a regular basis. Many students have taken University of Phoenix courses only to sadly discover that other institutions will not recognize their hard earned qualifications. I sincerely hope this is not the case with the New School

Yes, Jeff, you HAVE many times posted here regarding your opposition to distance tesol courses, citing the one to one contact, group participation, and supervised teaching practice as necessary elements. Do I REALLY need to search the archives?

The fact of the matter is, cambridge, likely for financial reasons, is discussing making major changes to course delivery - changes in a direction that many of its proponents here have used as criticisms of other courses in terms of these courses being somewhat 'inferior'. Granted, there are ways and means, using some of the methods you have mentioned, of improving such courses, although perhaps the 'inferior' courses have been using such methods all along. Has anyone ever checked? NO! The courses are inferior because they are distance-delivery. That has always been the bottom line.

I found it amusing that the press release by Steve Brent stated that this would increase accesibility - yet in actuality it will only be available at existing centers.

Mike Milanovich states it will have "substantial face to face teaching practice as well as the online delivery of the theoretical background to language teaching and learning". That is pretty clear to me - I dont really need to adopt a "wait and see approach" - it sounds exactly as I described.

... and I don't need an octopus to help me read that!

Messages In This Thread

Coming: online CELTA
Betsy Reinheimer -- Thursday, 24 June 2010, at 9:46 p.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Friday, 25 June 2010, at 7:44 a.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Sunday, 4 July 2010, at 5:49 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Sunday, 4 July 2010, at 10:26 a.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Saturday, 10 July 2010, at 4:27 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Saturday, 10 July 2010, at 8:48 a.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Sunday, 11 July 2010, at 2:47 p.m.
Bent out of Shape?
Ari Sha Dupp -- Monday, 12 July 2010, at 7:34 a.m.
The New School
Jeff Mohamed -- Tuesday, 13 July 2010, at 4:03 a.m.
Re: The New School
Cathy -- Tuesday, 13 July 2010, at 1:39 p.m.
Jason -- Tuesday, 13 July 2010, at 12:03 p.m.
Art Sha Dupp -- Thursday, 15 July 2010, at 7:36 a.m.
Jason -- Thursday, 15 July 2010, at 11:49 a.m.
Global Teacher -- Wednesday, 14 July 2010, at 5:09 p.m.
Global Teacher -- Wednesday, 14 July 2010, at 5:07 p.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Thursday, 15 July 2010, at 12:53 p.m.
Jason -- Friday, 16 July 2010, at 5:44 p.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Monday, 19 July 2010, at 1:27 p.m.
Jason -- Tuesday, 20 July 2010, at 1:15 p.m.
Scott Thornbury -- Friday, 23 July 2010, at 5:17 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Wednesday, 28 July 2010, at 10:32 p.m.
Jason -- Thursday, 29 July 2010, at 9:11 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Friday, 30 July 2010, at 6:57 a.m.
Global Teacher -- Saturday, 17 July 2010, at 11:33 p.m.
Global Taecher -- Saturday, 17 July 2010, at 11:32 p.m.
Christina -- Wednesday, 17 July 2013, at 12:11 a.m.
Global Teacher -- Friday, 9 July 2010, at 10:33 p.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Saturday, 10 July 2010, at 10:39 p.m.
Global Teacher -- Tuesday, 13 July 2010, at 3:50 a.m.
The Critic -- Tuesday, 20 July 2010, at 2:44 p.m.
Jason -- Wednesday, 21 July 2010, at 12:10 p.m.
mcsensei -- Friday, 23 July 2010, at 9:31 a.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Monday, 26 July 2010, at 4:43 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Thursday, 29 July 2010, at 6:26 a.m.
Vincent -- Sunday, 24 October 2010, at 10:05 p.m.
Jeff Mohamed -- Tuesday, 26 October 2010, at 5:17 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Sunday, 25 July 2010, at 9:36 a.m.
Jason -- Monday, 26 July 2010, at 11:28 a.m.
Ari Sha Dupp -- Tuesday, 27 July 2010, at 9:13 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT