Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

International TESOL College, B.Ed in EFL program

Posted By: worried <ttstudents@hotmail.com>
Date: Saturday, 27 November 2004, at 11:19 a.m.

Hello,

This is for anybody who is thinking about taking the International TESOL College B.ed program, is taking it, or has taken it. Hope this broadens your understanding...

A year ago, I decided to take the risk of enrolling, paying for, and participating in the B.Ed in EFL degree offered by International TESOL College. I knew that I was taking a big risk. I had looked up everything I could, and found out the same things that have been mentioned already by others on this site... for example, the school's accrediting body is not approved by the US education department, the degree (alone) won't qualify me for positions in North America. Even though I knew this information, I also knew (from experience) that this degree would help me to find a better teaching job overseas, especially in places like Japan, Korea.. places where I wouldn't be able to teach (legally) without a piece of paper saying I completed a degree.

So.. I started the degree program last January and finished my B.ed program two months ago. I really enjoyed the actual work involved in the program, because I did learn some new things, and I got to apply a lot of the knowledge and experience I gained from teaching overseas into assignments like making a portfolio of lesson plans and course material that I created.

Before I enrolled in the program, about a couple of weeks after the program began, the college was sending out e-newsletters, to let people know that the first person to finish the B.ed program had graduated, and was now using her new degree to find new opportunities overseas... WHAT A LOAD OF FALSE PROMISES.. I was hoping to graduate sooner than I did, but the college takes THEIR TIME to send you confirmation of your graduation. I was relieved when I FINALLY received the degree (paper), but I'm still waiting to get my transcripts, which who knows.. i might not get... and without the transcripts, the degree's worth less than the paper its made of. The college has a system set up where you have the option of emailing two people in order to get your questions answered. Whenever I send them my questions or requests, they take soooooo long to respond! I have to wait anywhere from a week to a month and half to hear a response to my questions!

I've been really patient with the school, and so far things have SLOWLY developed in a positive direction. Although, until I get my transcripts, I won't be able to give a final decision on whether international tesol college is worth the time, money, and patience.

Should this letter be read by any International TESOL College representatives, remember the lyrics "If the cap fits, let them wear it!" Everything I've mentioned in this letter has been written so that people who are in the same position I was in 6 months ago have some more information than I did, and to inspire positive change from the college.

And by the way, I'd really appreciate if the person who claims to have gotten a work visa in Japan with her degree from international tesol would provide some proof, like... what school do you work with... and where in Japan? This would help give me some piece of mind, so that I know whether this degree could work out for me after all.

Sincerly,
Worried!

Messages In This Thread

International TESOL College, B.Ed in EFL program
worried -- Saturday, 27 November 2004, at 11:19 a.m.
Re: International TESOL College, B.Ed in EFL progr
Bryn Madoc -- Tuesday, 30 November 2004, at 7:38 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT